First Place Award, Summer 1998, Inner Harbor Design Competition Buffalo, New York.
New Public Space Competition First Place Award winner for 3 square blocks (500,000 square feet) redevelopment of downtown Buffalo waterfront site.
McKay headed the team of the winning design - A New Urban Atrium reclaimed an unused three block area of downtown Buffalo and proposed returning this area to public use in the form of a year round multi-use public space. The abandoned Memorial Auditorium was recycled into a public use retail and entertainment facility and provided office use in the building's upper floors overlooking a new interior building atrium. The interior atrium extends outward to a new covered exterior area - an urban atrium bordering a proposed park built over an entertainment and parking facility leading to the Buffalo River.
Competition was sponsored by The City of Buffalo, AIA Buffalo Western New York, American Society of Landscape Architects, Empire State Development Corporation, and the Buffalo Renaissance Corp.
- 2008 Metropolis:
- April, “Geometric Stair Case” designed BY MA/D for residential project in New York City. pp. 85
- 2007 W Magazine:
- June, “Up on the Rooftop”. Text and Photographs featuring MA/D design for the Gramercy Park Private Roof Club and Garden Terrace. pp. 122
- 2007 Wallpaper:
- July, “Gramercy Park Hotel Roof Club” featuring private roof terrace space. pp section 06 Travel.
- 2003 Harper's BAZAAR:
- September, “Interiors: What's New Now”. Text and photographs featuring MA/D design for the Rhodes Residence in New York City. pp. 398-403
- 2003 Materials-architecture in detail:
- Rockport Publishers, Inc.33 Commercial Street. Gloucester, Massachusetts 01930. USM Furniture Showroom, New York. Photographs and drawings of the structural glass stair pp. 174-178
- 2003 City Magazine:
- May/June, “The New Master Builders”. An article featuring six New York architectural offices and their future importance pp. 111
- 2002 VM+SD:
- December, “New York Retail”. USM modular furniture, USM modular furniture Showroom at 28-30 Greene Street pp.44
- 2002 Metropolis Magazine:
- June, “All Mod Pro”, Feature article showing the USM modular furniture and Hugo Boss Corporate Office and Showrooms, design by MSM architects and headed by Thomas McKay.
- 2001 New York Architects 01-02:
- PSA Publishers LLC, 250 West 54th Street, 4th Fl, New York NY 10019. Text and photographs, p.138
- 1999 Competitions:
- “New Public Space Competition, Ideas for Buffalo's Waterfront”, Text and photographs of the winning entry to Buffalo's New Public Space Competition pp.7-9